Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,979 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 438,187
Pageviews Today: 757,346Threads Today: 368Posts Today: 5,281
08:47 AM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

For those unemployed/who asked: Ideas to supplement your income or start your own business.

PhennommennonnModerator  (OP)
Forum Administrator

User ID: 581503
United States
06/15/2009 09:39 AM

Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: For those unemployed/who asked: Ideas to supplement your income or start your own business.
I stumbled on this one when I moved to a resort area, put your name in with all the hotels, motels and resorts for babysitting. Charge at least 10 per hour..chances are the parents are in a real good mood when they get back and you'll get a big tip!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 433903

watch tho - some states require (here in pa they do) if you watch more than 3 kids they deem you a daycare. then you have to license/certify. and the insurance alone will kill you financially BUT if you have the customers in pa you can get 180 a week for childcare for 8 hours a day (and parents must pay the entire week even if they have a day off during their work week)
political correctness is a doctrine.... fostered by a delusional, illogical minority...... and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media; which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 681616
United States
06/15/2009 09:40 AM
Report Abusive Post
Re: For those unemployed/who asked: Ideas to supplement your income or start your own business.
i predicted this would happen a few months back to a friend of mine. i said as more and more people get laid off and cannot find another job they will get the bright idea to start a business in this horrible economy and fail miserably.

it's hard enough to get a new business off the ground in a good economy, and damn near impossible in this economy. but still there are many poor desperate people who will try anyway only to lose what little $ they have left to live on.

not ver optimistic, i know, but true.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 508527

its very true, have watched a lot of good cooks go down in flames. because although they could cook and even run a kitchen from soup to nuts. all their idiosyncracies and power control things flared up. the same rejects who would quit at the drop of a hat . were outraged when they tried to impose some stupid rule on their staff and got told to fuck off during rush hour.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 09:40 AM

Report Abusive Post
i predicted this would happen a few months back to a friend of mine. i said as more and more people get laid off and cannot find another job they will get the bright idea to start a business in this horrible economy and fail miserably.

it's hard enough to get a new business off the ground in a good economy, and damn near impossible in this economy. but still there are many poor desperate people who will try anyway only to lose what little $ they have left to live on.

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 508527

tho theres still a market for things - you just have to figure out what that market is. what ppl wont do without.
political correctness is a doctrine.... fostered by a delusional, illogical minority...... and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media; which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 09:43 AM

Report Abusive Post

its very true, have watched a lot of good cooks go down in flames. because although they could cook and even run a kitchen from soup to nuts. all their idiosyncracies and power control things flared up. the same rejects who would quit at the drop of a hat . were outraged when they tried to impose some stupid rule on their staff and got told to fuck off during rush hour.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 681616

sounds like me when we had the pizza shop. chuckle the pizza maker we had refused to wear his hairnet. for the umpteenth time he was warned. i went tally on him....and he walked out. no worries. that was the night my daughter learned how to make pizzas (drewskii was off that day - i sent him to NYC to get supplies) and i didnt have to depend on anyone again. i can make pizzas but my long nails go thru the dough.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 701855
United States
06/15/2009 09:51 AM
Report Abusive Post
To bad you have not figured out how to make a buck with character assassination.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 09:55 AM

Report Abusive Post
To bad you have not figured out how to make a buck with character assassination.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 701855

care to be my poster child?
stfu
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 701855
United States
06/15/2009 09:56 AM
Report Abusive Post
~Galatians 4:16
Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 09:58 AM

Report Abusive Post
~Galatians 4:16
Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 701855

i was being truthful. wink if youre gonna troll dont waste my time. some people here wanted this info. youre on iggy15
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 433903
Canada
06/15/2009 09:58 AM
Report Abusive Post
Another one I have done, put ad at Universities/Colleges to type up students thesis/assignments and correct grammar.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:00 AM

Report Abusive Post
Another one I have done, put ad at Universities/Colleges to type up students thesis/assignments and correct grammar.

there y'go....more ideas for people here. thanks for the contribution. someone might want to do this.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/15/2009 10:01 AM
Report Abusive Post
I also pet/house sit..
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:06 AM

Report Abusive Post
ive done this on a volunteer basis only but you could start a business doing it because there is a market for it.

i do not encourage credit; but since credit affects our rentals, jobs, insurance rates etc.....you can help ppl cleanup their credit reports by challenging the credit bureaus. usually this takes approx 30-45 days to do.

theres a protocol to follow. sometimes the bureaus ignore you; then you have to go fair debt collection act on them...or state atty general but for the most part you can get over half derogatory remarks removed off a credit report if you follow the steps/procedures **even if you do own the debt.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:06 AM

Report Abusive Post
I also pet/house sit..

my daughter does this - she makes good money when ppl go on vacation.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 690477
United Kingdom
06/15/2009 10:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
Yeah .. may work in america.

In europa you won´t start any of your business without major costs and paper work.

That´s why we are toast as long as government has the means to control business...
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 331367

This is very true! I run a small painting, decorating and property maintenance business here in the UK and the red-tape even in that is staggering! Company formation, accountancy fees (tax here is very complex and you need to be on the right side of it, legally required insurance, vehicle running costs - non of that cheap US gas here! Material costs, advertising costs, sub-contractor regulations and liabilities, PAYE liabilities... the list is endless). This is before I even mention that incredibly tough competition!

I used to live in the US, and things were VERY different there. I would caution anyone to seriously investigate the legal and technical aspects of many of the things that the OP suggests if you are thinking of doing them in the EU and you don't want to end up in court!!!!!
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:15 AM

Report Abusive Post
heres another idea i used to do just for the hell of it:
gift baskets.

the easter baskets you can pickup at yard sales, goodwill/salvation army - freecycle.

make a "menu"

toiletries (mini soaps/shampoos, etc)
muffins, cookies
paper-goods (like office shit)
new baby baskets like a mini bassinet
bridal
birthday (per age - we had fun with one for age 40....grecian formula for the grays, geritol, age spot cream)
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:17 AM

Report Abusive Post
Yeah .. may work in america.

In europa you won´t start any of your business without major costs and paper work.

That´s why we are toast as long as government has the means to control business...

This is very true! I run a small painting, decorating and property maintenance business here in the UK and the red-tape even in that is staggering! Company formation, accountancy fees (tax here is very complex and you need to be on the right side of it, legally required insurance, vehicle running costs - non of that cheap US gas here! Material costs, advertising costs, sub-contractor regulations and liabilities, PAYE liabilities... the list is endless). This is before I even mention that incredibly tough competition!

I used to live in the US, and things were VERY different there. I would caution anyone to seriously investigate the legal and technical aspects of many of the things that the OP suggests if you are thinking of doing them in the EU and you don't want to end up in court!!!!!
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 690477

of course DUH....you should always be in compliance with your state or country, thats a given - common sense. if youre gonna go into business investigate licenses, certifications et al etc. its not a difficult feat. most info is avail online if not its just a phone call.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 692844
United States
06/15/2009 10:18 AM
Report Abusive Post
Barney Frank hunter.
Anonymous Coward
Canada
06/15/2009 10:19 AM
Report Abusive Post
gift baskets.

the easter baskets you can pickup at yard sales, goodwill/salvation army - freecycle.

make a "menu"

muffins, cookies
bridal
birthday (per age - we had fun with one for age 40....grecian formula for the grays, geritol, age spot cream)
 Quoting: Phennommennonn

You can "shop" these around to gift/flower/drug stores.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 317323
United States
06/15/2009 10:21 AM
Report Abusive Post

You did that wow that is great I should do that to.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:22 AM

Report Abusive Post
if youre going to start out doing crafts or something home based, throw a "party". serve refreshments......do a demonstration. get your invites to commit to having a party/demo at their house. give them a free gift if your sales generate "X" amount. lather, repeat, rinse. this is how you can build a home based business and its fun - you can keep ppl busy by incorporating simple games, trivia, - an hours work/demo.....
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:24 AM

Report Abusive Post
gift baskets.

make a "menu"

muffins, cookies
bridal

You can "shop" these around to gift/flower/drug stores.

sure can. and.....hotels/motels are the biggest sell. ppl visit dont know the area they need a gift. truck stops too. these 2 areas generate alot of traffic.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:41 AM

Report Abusive Post
friend of mine started her own karaoke biz. (try freecycle for one)

she made her own karaoke cdz - theres software on the net you can download.

start out with bar gigs. advertise for parties, school dances/events. biz parties.

all you need is the karaoke machine, and a monitor/tv, and cdz
mercury2

User ID: 104052
France
06/15/2009 10:43 AM

Report Abusive Post
Excellent post OP

thanks...you should see the emails i got - better to post it than to answer each one.
 Quoting: Phennommennonn

Hey Phennomm, maybe "business tips and ideas" is your next new business :-)

Thanks for the thread!
Qualia

User ID: 693459
United States
06/15/2009 10:45 AM
Report Abusive Post
This is a really wonderful thing you've done here, P!

I used to be a Personal Chef. I'd go into people's homes with groceries and use their kitchen and cookware. No overhead this way. Pure profit. I'd do dinner parties and small cocktail parties. Actually, it was a blast doing this.
If you spin in your chair really fast, things around here will make a lot more sense.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:55 AM

Report Abusive Post
another friend started his own biz....collecting other peoples throw aways. selling used stuff. he would ebay, craigslist, flea market.....right now hes applying to the state to become a pawn shop. drew may partner with him. still undecided.

heres another 'gift' idea....can get these albums for next to nothing in goodwill/sal army - even freecycle. photo albums. and take foam/cloth to cover them, add decorations to them. also a good seller item.

you can also scout the net for suppliers. find the best wholesale deals. call the company to make sure the items are always in stock and not clearance. setup a paypal account or you can do the money order thing...just will take longer. list items on ebay with a markup as a buy now. it used to be with ebay if your item didnt sell they'd give you a free re list. you'd have to check it out. list on craigslist other boards. what you do is....you get an order/payment, you immed order with the supplier and have them ship directly to your customer. no investment. youre the middleman yes, but many ppl do this and profit from it. you can also print your own catalog of things you want to sell from your suppliers - and sell locally to friends, biz's etc.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:55 AM

Report Abusive Post
Excellent post OP

thanks...you should see the emails i got - better to post it than to answer each one.

Hey Phennomm, maybe "business tips and ideas" is your next new business :-)

Thanks for the thread!
 Quoting: mercury2

nah. not challenging enough. wink
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 10:57 AM

Report Abusive Post
This is a really wonderful thing you've done here, P!

I used to be a Personal Chef. I'd go into people's homes with groceries and use their kitchen and cookware. No overhead this way. Pure profit. I'd do dinner parties and small cocktail parties. Actually, it was a blast doing this.
 Quoting: Qualia

yes it is. in the catering thing, we did one retirement party, we had so much fun i was doing the julia child voice the entire time in the kitchen. had the 'staff' in hysterics.
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 11:05 AM

Report Abusive Post
back in the early 90's in NY at work i was the 'event planner'. i worked for the postal svc. we had an associate office of over 200 ppl. birthdays, retirement, sickness, weddings, bachelor(ette) parties - we would use any event to throw a party. i was always 'elected' by everyone bc i came up with themed parties at minimal expense.

event planning is big. you can advertise at clubs, golf courses, hotels, churches, formal restaurants, high schools/private schools/universities - and privately of course. start...get your name out there. leave your name with local bands, merchants, food services - referrals are always the best source of getting new business.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 317323
United States
06/15/2009 11:21 AM
Report Abusive Post
What about the oldest profession out there? Prostitution? You just can't have enough of 'em,
I say.

Phenommmm...you could probably still pull it off (so to speak).
Forum Administrator

United States
06/15/2009 11:23 AM

Report Abusive Post
What about the oldest profession out there? Prostitution? You just can't have enough of 'em,
I say.

Phenommmm...you could probably still pull it off (so to speak).
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 317323

like i said in the initial post....dont quit YOUR day job.
chuckle

GLP