Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject GPS On Cell Phone Photos Can Put You In Danger
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message This is probably old news, but I just learned about it today. You can't be to careful in protecting not only your identity, but your location as well. If you or your kids are posting photos on Facebook, any one can open up the Geotag and find the location where the picture was taken.
Someone posting information that the Govt might find embarrassing, could wind up with a knock on the door in the middle of the night.

I ran multiple searches on this forum and found nothing, so if it was already posted, I apologize.

[link to chicago.cbslocal.com]

CHICAGO (CBS) – We love posting our favorite photos on Facebook, MySpace or Twitter to show our friends and family what we’ve been up to. But, as CBS 2’s Mary Kay Kleist reports, those innocent snapshots could be revealing a lot more about you than you might think — and opening you up to danger as well.

Cristina Parker loves taking pictures with her smartphone.

“I like to take a lot of photos of my dog and post them on Twitter. I think she’s really cute. Also my friends and family,” said Parker.

But one day, she got an ominous tweet from the website “I Can Stalk U”, telling her they know where she lives.

Parker said, “I thought it was a little scary. They were accurate to my location from my house. So my immediate response was, ‘what happened, how do you know where I am?’”

It turns out, Parker’s photos contained GPS information called geotags, embedded by her smartphone. Every time she posted a photo online that she took with her phone, she was inadvertently giving out her whereabouts.

[link to icanstalku.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP