Users Online Now: 1,446 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 241,776
Pageviews Today: 395,882Threads Today: 125Posts Today: 2,286
05:46 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The Sun is Cold, contrary to popular belief.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I find it hard to disagree with this information, its all laid out in perfectly easy to understand logic. Naysayers - Have at it, and goooood luck!

[link to www.luisprada.com]

See the following response about the temperature of the space at: [link to imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov] . Here is the text from that website:

"The Question:
All I wanted to ask you is that if we put a thermometer in Space with no other light or heat source around and absolutely no background radiation there, what would it read? Would the temperature be really cold or what?
"The Answer:
"Yes, it would be really cold. Temperature measures the energy per "degree of freedom" (i.e., way something can move) of whatever molecules happen to be around. So, it becomes so cold that the molecules stop all together, then this is the "absolute zero" temperature. On the Celsius Temperature Scale (i.e., water freezes at 0, and boils at 100) this takes place at -273 o C.

"We usually use the Kelvin temperature scale, where Zero Kelvin is this "absolute zero" temperature -- or -273 o C. Water freezes at +273 o Kelvin and water boils at +373 o Kelvin.

"If we put a thermometer in darkest space, with absolutely nothing around, it would first have to cool off. This might take a very very long time. Once it cooled off, it would read 2.7 o Kelvin. This is because of the "3 degree microwave background radiation." No matter where you go, you cannot escape it -- it is always there."

Answer by Jonathan Keohane for Ask a High-Energy Astronomer.

hf hf
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP