Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Current Farm Report 7-7-12: the doom marches on
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to www.agweb.com]

see the video. you can run it in the background while you are doing other things.

"especially if we're going to go out for several years."

"high price by july 21 in both wheat and corn." BUY YOUR BULK GOODS NOW!!!!

"weather weather and weather."

"CHINA"

July Crop Comments:

[link to www.agweb.com]

7/4 - Montgomery County, Mo.: Corn is cooked/zero.

7/6 - Greeley County, Neb.: Dryland crops are gone. Was hoping for some rain so they would make silage. But haven't gotten any. We have only had 0.41" since June 1 and 2.25" since May 1. Pastures are gone and have had to start feeding cows. The first two cuttings of hay were less than 20% of normal and it doesn't look like there will be a third. Trying to decide if I should sell the cows or spend $40,000 on hay.

7/6 - Summer County, Tenn.: Hot and dry. Corn crop was already in bad shape before last week, but the triple-digit temperatures really have finished it off for good. Everything is burnt up.

7/4 - Southwest Nebraska: Dry is an understatement around here...it's just plain miserable. We have only had 5" since Jan. 1, nothing over 60 hundreds in one shot. It's been anywhere from 95°-114° every day for the past three weeks, with dry south winds. Most of the dryland corn is burned up and not tall enough to make silage. Irrigation wells are struggling to keep up, some guys are abandoning irrigated fields to save others. Even the milo doesn't look like it's gonna make it. Surprisingly the dryland beans are still optimistic about a rain, they are holding on but not growing. The cow situation is dire. The pastures never greened up this year and our hay crops are only a third to nothing of normal. Massive culling will expand soon. The wheat crop was fair if it was on fallow ground, otherwise it was a federal crop claim. This is the first year in a long time that we are not harvesting wheat during the Fourth of July, the only problem is all the festivities are canceled because of the high fire danger.

on and on and on.

map of heat records broken in june 2012:

june2012heat

I feel bad for those who live in cities as i had lived in some rather large ones. And I know there will be many very good people that will suffer from food doom. I wish every person could live on 2 acres in the country. Life would be more pleasant for all. I cant say what works for all but i am blessed to have 2 acres and good ground. What has worked for me wont work for all but i like to share what I know.

I plant my corn and pumpkins and cabbage and black beens in the same plot . 10x15 foot plot. I work in straw from the chicken pen and mix that with rabbit turds from winter. once it all starts growing i surround each plant with straw from the chickens coop again. By this time the veggies are stronger than the weeds. i have LOTS of weeds. But my veggies are all growing like there on steroids and they are all heirloom.Not sure why the big fuss about weeding..never seem to hurt my crops for the last 16 years. Spread my corn stalks and you will see daisies and other wildflowers growing with my beens and pumpkins and corn etc..

peas-cucumbers-cherry tomatoes-sweet peppers-jalapeno peppers-lettuce-radishes-squash-onions-carrots are all growing in some type of container with a mixture of rabbit turds, chicken coop straw and topsoil mixed together. Get creative with vining vegetables so they can climb up.

For meat I have 3 pretty does and one lucky buck that likes to f---. Lots of meat and fertilizer. We have 8 laying hens with 1 duck that lays also. 2 roosters and 9 young hens. We get 6-9 eggs every day.The duck is the most reliable layer and the biggest egg. And NO duck eggs dont taste different unless you feed them different from chickens and mine all free range.

2 pygmy nubian goats that we milk for the moment. And belive me that when your milking 2 goats it becomes your drink of choice.Because there is so much.

But even I rely on others feed for the goats rabbits and chickens in the winter.

Planting your veggies in pots is the best way for small families.

Have fun people.
 Quoting: farmer general 19335140
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP