Users Online Now: 1,806 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,109,070
Pageviews Today: 1,854,437Threads Today: 754Posts Today: 12,622
06:55 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Inside a hive mind: "The Things" by Peter Watts (free MP3 + youtube)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Everyone here should be familiar with John Carpenter's The Thing. Well, I've come across the following story where the events of that film are told from the monster's perspective. I think I've finally found an accurate account of what a hive mind is like from the inside! Any thoughts on that? Anyone agree/disagree?

"In January 2010 Clarkesworld Magazine published "The Things", a short story by Peter Watts which retells the film events from the alien's point of view and paints it in a much more sympathetic light by describing the thing as an alien with an innocent impulse to share with the human race its power of communion and its frightened, not to mention severely saddened, reaction when they attack it."

[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Text of story and mp3 download:

[link to clarkesworldmagazine.com]

Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP