Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Being Prepared - Updated Basic Food List On Page One
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Are you prepared to live off what you have in your own home without any outside aid for a week, two weeks, a month or even a year? This could be bad weather, an earthquake, economic collapse, pandemic, the list goes on. If you are not, then you will die. You must take responsibility for yourself, your family or group. Preparing is hard and costs too much are what I hear over and over. It can be mind boggling when you first start but there are ways to get started that don’t have to cost a lot and will keep you alive.

I have read many times that first you buy 3 months of food that you normally eat, then you start working on long term storage items (LTS), I don’t agree, not with the state things are at this time. Too many of us are just barely making it and we need food now to stock up.

Before you buy one thing extra, you need water. One gallon of water per person per day is the standard theory. If you are doing nothing but hiding, a half gallon will work. If you are doing hard work and it is hot outside, you will need more than one gallon. 30 days of water is 30 gallons minimum. The cheapest way to store water is save or have friends save for you if you don’t drink it, 2-liter soda bottles. I rinse them out, add a little dish soap, a little bleach, and a little water. I shake well and pour it into the next bottle using a funnel. I do about 20-30 bottles at a time. The lids I put into a bowl with bleach water and let them soak while I am cleaning the bottles. In this same bowl I dip the top of the bottle, so that the groves are also cleaned. After all bottles are cleaned, they are sitting on my counter for about 30 mins to let the bleach continue disinfecting. After this, I rinse the bottles well. Usually 3-4 times. Then fill with water and add 2 drops of regular household bleach that does not have any scents or is splash proof. I use a bamboo skewer, dip it into the bleach bottle and let drip two drops into the 2-liter bottles. Put the rinsed and cleaned lid on, dry and area off and write what date the bottle was filled and that it came from tap water.

Again many say this water should be rotated every 6 months. I don’t know about you but I sure don’t have time for that. I have since read, water is always water. The only think you would need to worry about it after 2-3 years the plastic the bottle is made from “might” break down. There is no proof of this happening. If you find it, please let me know. Another thing, old water will taste stale. This is because there isn’t any oxygen in it. To get rid of this taste, simply pour the water back and forth between two CLEAN containers a few times. This will put oxygen back into the water and the taste will improve.

Don’t forget to save water for cleaning with. Hygiene is very important, especially in a crisis.

Never store water for drinking nor hygiene in an used milk carton. Never. It doesn’t matter how well you clean that bottle, the bacteria will become one with the plastic – a point that one might consider when storing your water in the 2-liter bottles, make sure it was soda or water. Many use juice bottles also.

Household bleach only has a shelf life of 6 months to 2 years depending on how old it was when you bought it. Pool shock or Dry High Test Hypochlorite (HTH) has no shelf life, and its cheap – a one pound bag (that will purify about 10,000 gallons of water) is about $5.00. Below is a good link and video for using. Remember, once opened it needs to be kept in a plastic or glass container as it is corrosive to metal.

Bleach will destroy most (but NOT all!) disease causing organisms (boiling water to make it safe to drink is always the best method). It is best to combine the two.

This is the stuff I have on hand.
[link to www.amazon.com]

You don’t want any fungacides in the pool shock, just Calcium Hypochlorite 68% or better.

Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a two step process.

* To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water.
* To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated.
* Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.

To use household bleach for disinfecting water:

* Add two drops of bleach per quart or liter of water.
* Stir it well.
* Let the mixture stand for a half hour before drinking.

If the water is cloudy with suspended particles:

* First filter the water as best you can.
* Double the amount of bleach you add to the water.
* Let sit for 30 minutes. If it doesn't have a bleach smell, shake water and repeat with bleach waiting 30 minutes between each treatment until you can smell a mild scent of bleach after 30 minutes. If it takes more than 3-4 treatments, DO NOT DRINK THIS WATER!!!!!

Another plus for using calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water for emergency use is that a little goes a very long way. A 1-pound bag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form typically costs only a few US dollars and can be obtained in any swimming pool supply section of your hardware store or online. This amount will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water, which is enough for a family of four for some six or seven years at a gallon per day per person!

[link to readynutrition.com]

Someone put this together for a quick over veiw of the thread. Thank you to AC62787503
[link to www.dropbox.com (secure)]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP