Users Online Now: 2,182 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,043,138
Pageviews Today: 1,875,232Threads Today: 818Posts Today: 14,389
09:13 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject An apology to America's moms. What happened? When did treating women like objects —or worse— become the new norm? The standard is that society t
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to www.foxnews.com]

An apology to America's moms
Jason Wright

By Jason F. Wright Published May 07, 2016 FoxNews.com
Facebook334 Twitter50 livefyre26 Email Print
ILE -- May 9, 2014: Andrea Smith holds her daughter Norah at a playground in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois. (Reuters)

ILE -- May 9, 2014: Andrea Smith holds her daughter Norah at a playground in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois. (Reuters)

Mom, I'm sorry.

You deserve so much better.

While we're at it, so do all of America’s women.

What happened? When did treating women like objects —or worse— become the new norm?

The standard is that society treats mothers, particularly full-time moms, like the great unwashed.

A few weeks ago I introduced two friends when the three of us crossed paths in a store. The first, a talented woman with a successful career, asked the other what she did.

“Oh,” the second said with her eyes down, as if being questioned at a crime scene, “I'm just a stay-home mom.”

Really? I thought.

When I challenged her later, she said that while she's proud to be a wife and mother, she faces so much mother prejudice that the “just a mom” answer has become the canned reply. She believes that the media and Hollywood makes mothers feel as though they’re less talented and less beautiful if they raise kids and no longer fit into their wedding dresses.

But you don't have to be a mother to feel the effects of this new normal.

Have you listened to popular music lately? As of today, 18 of the top 20 tracks on Apple Music are explicit, as are 17 of the top 20 full-length albums. Most of these songs degrade women with hateful language and deadly, damaging stereotypes. There aren’t enough bars of soap to wash out the mouths of today’s most popular “artists.”

If I’d said these things about women or mothers when I was young, I would've been suspended at school and grounded indefinitely at home. Today, if a rapper says these things, he or she gets a Grammy and an invitation to the White House.

Speaking of the White House, when did the new norm become that it’s perfectly acceptable for the presumptive presidential nominee of a major party to be a playground bully with an established record of calling women ugly, fat, pigs and poking fun at their faces?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP