Users Online Now: 1,838 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 334,678
Pageviews Today: 528,149Threads Today: 172Posts Today: 2,605
06:40 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Leaving the ghetto after 5 years - My experience, and advice ...
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Finally have closed on land out in the country after living in the ghetto for 5 years, an old mill town that was left to disintegrate after the mills closed. In the late 90s there was a big push for revitalization and a lot of artists and musicians moved into the neighborhood, buying under a special tax rate. Not a bad deal and just a couple miles from downtown where they were opening art galleries and music venues.

The houses are solid, built in the 1930s and earlier, and each has about an eighth of an acre as a yard, deep lots for growing Victory gardens. We have been renting from a friend, a musician who bought in during that great tax break. The first couple years weren’t bad here, and as a writer I enjoyed sitting on the front-screened porch and watching the locals.

Our block has kinda been the unofficial “white” block; the neighbor across the street inherited his house from his mom, and owns several on the block. The neighbors next to him are just good country people who own a couple houses next to each other, and plant in their yard and are often offering excess veggies. The neighbor next door was a hunter, and although he’d clean kill in his front yard, he cleaned up well and would often offer fresh venison, wild hog, turkey, or catfish to us. I also do a lot of things for the neighbors, including rides to the doctor, or work, etc, not to mention feeding a lot of people during the ice storm that left us without power for a week (my gas stove still worked, while most had been shifted to full electric).

Our hunting neighbor, though, after fixing up a house that was probably about to be condemned, moved out and rented to a section 8 family. It was last September and there was a tropical storm moving through the night she moved in. I had the door to the screened-porch open to catch the cool air (our houses are only about 12 feet, if that, from each other), and I heard someone yelling. I stepped on the porch to listen and the woman was having a big rant about how she hated white folk.

It was rather hard to understand her, but I got the gist of it – white folks suck, are horrible, are stupid, of the devil, and should die. She couldn’t see me as I had let the evergreen bushes grow very thick around the porch, but I could certainly hear her. And what she didn’t discover until the next morning was that all of her neighbors were white. Her vehicle had broken down and she sent her daughter (about 8-yr-old) knocking on doors and asking for jumper cables. We helped her that morning, despite what I had heard.

When I saw the owner, I relayed what had been said, but he told me she seemed like a nice woman and besides, she wouldn’t be there long. And if I had a problem let him know – he gave me his number.

A couple weeks later I got a big pup.

In the months since then, transients are in and out of her house, eating from the trash, and pissing in the back yard. I live on a corner, have a privacy fence on the street, but a chain link between us. Over the months she and I have had words, but I think I out-crazied her on New Years Eve when they were throwing fireworks in my yard. They were literally sitting on the porch, lighting shit, and throwing it in my yard.

Anyone with pets know those events are stressful to animals, and we had all the animals inside (except the chickens, lol), and the sheer audacity of them doing that had me out front yelling at them. They have a large back yard, why throw them off in my front yard? Couple big fat women tried to get up in my face, but little, old, crazy me (50ish, 5-feet-tall) evidently had them moving down the street. Yes, I checked my crazy card, and it’s about worn down after five years of living here.

Then I hear our new neighbor as she’s sitting on the porch on the phone and telling whomever that if my big pup barked at her or her friends again she was going to kill it, shoot him. I bowed up, we exchanged heated words as I clarified my dog was doing his freaking job of barking when her “friends” were pissing in the back yard, or peeking over the fence to see what they could steal. She ended with, “Alright, then,” and stepped back in the house, slamming the door.

Her landlord doesn’t answer the phone, and hasn’t since he gave me, and the neighbors, his number.

Then the family across the other street moved out (I live on a corner), and I knew it was going section 8. Across that street is a huge house, with a garage with apartments, and a smaller house behind it. Now there are six or more girls with expensive long braids and too many youngens to count living and screaming over there. My neighbors around here immediately said, “Hope it’s not a brothel.” BTW, somehow they can afford the most expensive cars while we’re driving older, paid off vehicles, and there is a lot of traffic over there, and broken beer bottles outside my privacy fence.

In garage apartment some new folks moved in over the weekend, and what do you do when you move into a new apartment? Evidently poke your big head into the privacy fence across the way. Luckily, my husband saw him and called him out with a mighty “What the fuck are you doing?” The dude ran.

In my time living here, I have tended to at least three accidents – kids on motorbikes running the stop sign and getting hit. I have seen fistfights in the street. Screaming fights in yards that last for hours. Police chases, one of which ended in a fatal accident across the way, harassment from homeless people (I will never help another homeless person who knows where I live), prostitutes being picked up and dropped off outside my living room window, two young gay guys who I assume where about to have sex in the bushes outside my window (checked the crazy card a couple times that day, because what the ever-living-fuck??). Gunshots on a regular basis, and I’ve found gun casings in the yard, sirens all day and night, thumping stereos sitting at the corner after midnight. Neighbors knocking on the door wanting food (but not peanut butter, because they had that in prison and it makes them itchy), cigarettes, or money – like we’re rich (idiots, we live here too), things thrown in the back yard - from utensils, bottles and cans, food items, back packs (roaming bully kid, I guess), and syringes. We have a feral cat problem (some folks I know have fixed over 30 cats, and released them back to the streets), dog packs, wild roaming roosters, and even a pig.

The local (and very corrupt) government is crazy as hell, taxing everything imaginable as the service gets worse and worse, and more people move away. They not only tax rain water (but took forever to fix the sink hole that opened on a major thoroughfare), they are also taxing folks, responsible pet owners, when they get animals spayed or neutered blink

My advice to those moving into such a neighborhood is be nice, but distant. Don’t befriend anyone, and use that crazy card. I’m sure my new Section 8 neighbors don’t want to mess with the crazy, red-neck (I garden, and have chickens, which is perfectly legal here), woman next door, and I am fine with that. And let them know you are armed.

The next few months will be the hardest as the land is cleared and the construction of the new house, but I see, finally, the quiet and golden light at the end of the tunnel. Thank God!

I’m grateful for the experience as I will have plenty to write about, but I’m thrilled to be leaving.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP