Users Online Now: 2,153 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 610,020
Pageviews Today: 1,057,459Threads Today: 441Posts Today: 7,401
12:53 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject I think that love is not "just chemicals", but really does exist.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I hear people claiming that love is just an illusion from your brain, it's just chemicals, it's not "real", they imply.

They mean also to say that it is a trick from evolution, a trick of the brain, to help us reproduce.

A trick, however, implies a plan. But we have to remember, evolution has no plan, it's (so they say) a blind process. Not claiming that evolution is true by the way, but even if it were, evolution does not work for the good of the species. By this I don't mean to say that evolution is not producing species that are stronger, more intelligent and overall more efficient. Clearly it is. But I mean to say that evolution doesn't think to herself, "Hey, let's help these humans out. I'll give them love so they can reproduce and live on." As I've said, evolution has no goal. So, love can't be said to have a "purpose" according to that theory.

I hope I explained that clearly, but here's another link related to this:
[link to evolution.berkeley.edu (secure)]
Read the entry that says, "MISCONCEPTION: Natural selection gives organisms what they need."

As to the first point, love is just chemicals. I will disagree here as well.

First of all, I may say that even if that is true, and that there are some chemicals that make us feel in love, then doesn't that make love more real, and not less? It's like it's really there, in our body, it's not just in our mind. The chemicals, in a certain way, prove that love indeed exists.

I think that the point that the people who say that love is just chemicals is, is that, we don't really love the other person, we just think that we do because of these chemicals.

Fair enough. Imagine if I inject a lot of adrenaline into a person. Then the person will get anxious, when they have no reason to, perhaps.

But even still, I don't think that the chemicals are the cause of love. Because we never just randomely fall in love. We always fall in love AFTER we see the person!

Think like this, imagine I lose my wallet and then I get angry. Surely, you would agree that anger is not an illusion, right? So why attack love? It's also an emotion. Furthermore, it's clear that I am angry because I lost my wallet. I think that falling in love is a similar case...

There's also a reason why we fall in love, which happens after we see the person of course. That reason may be that we like the person's personality, her kindness towards others, for instance, and also how we are at our best when we are with that person. So, in essence, instead of saying that the chemicals are the cause of love, I think that it's better to say that love is the cause of the chemicals.

I'd say that it's obvious that love exists. You feel warm in your heart when you are with that special person, so that's proof that love is a real thing as well- otherwise, how could it have real effects? Butterflies in your stomach and all of that. I've already made a similar point above tho, so let's move on to the conclusion.

Many people fall in love, so whoever is to say that love is an illusion, to me it seems like they are just fighting an uphill battle from the get-go. I, therefore, shift the burden on proof onto them to prove to the rest of us that love is an illusion. But until that is done, I think that the most rational thing to believe is that love indeed does really exist.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP