Users Online Now: 2,074 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 631,934
Pageviews Today: 1,098,729Threads Today: 456Posts Today: 7,707
01:18 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Did the human race reach its intellectual peak between 1930s and 1980s and now we're in a downward spiral
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message "Technology may be getting smarter, but humans are getting dumber, scientists have warned.
Some have even contentiously said this could be because educated people are deciding to have fewer children, so that subsequent generations are largely made up of less intelligent people."

[link to www.dailymail.co.uk]

It's sad how the PC culture is trying to bury the evident reason for the decline, because it doesn't fit their "everyone's equal" doctrine. Of course, it is about smart and highly educated people choosing not to have kids.

I am a smart and highly educated person (PhD + professorship). I was also dead set against having children ever. I used to sugarcoat it by citing moral reasons ("the world's such a clusterfuck that it'd be immoral to have kids"), but my true reason was:

"I've spent two decades working 70 h weeks and sacrificed everything in my life - including my social life and health - to advance my career. There's no way in hell I am going to throw it all away by having kids."

Then I fell in love, got married and got shafted at work because I couldn't put in the hours like before. I was torn between my obligations at home and those at work, and conseqeuently I burned out and my priorities shifted. I downshifted at work and we had a child. I was 45, my wife was 37. At our age it was touch-and-go, but eventually my wife gave birth to a healthy child.

Anyway, the point of my little story is that most people like me will either choose not to have kids or they'll postpone it until it's way too late. Had I not burned out, my marriage would have ended up in a divorce, because that's how hell-bent I was on my career. While recovering from the burn-out, I had time to think about life and how there must be something else than work to it. The realization that I was destroying myself and causing grief to my wife who truly loved me really woke me up, but most people like me will never wake up.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP