Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Using a firewall, a few quick tips
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message If you're using a mobile device I highly suggest you get a no root firewall app.

If you are on PC you should also be using a firewall to control which traffic is coming and going.

Mobile users: There are options for pre filters and post filters. If you do not want anyone connecting to you then add this post filter:

192.*.*.*

(Exactly like that, with the asterisks which account for any number in their place)

Set the ports to 80 and another entry with port 443
Make sure it is set to blocking that traffic

The firewall will block ALL traffic to and from that address which is your device directly.

Well I went to biblehub.com and I couldn't connect because it wanted to connect to 192.168.whatever. I don't know why that is, but I added a pre filter that allowed the address it wanted to connect to 192.168.whatever specifically.

The pre filters see which addresses get a pass, and the post filters say "everything else gets a block".

Like this:

Pre filter: 192.168.2.2 gets a pass
But post filter block 192.168.everything.else

On the flip side, Imgur app makes lots of connections to the 192.168.*.* address but even while being blocked does not interfere with the app at all.

Get used to using firewalls, get to know them, they're good for keeping your data usage down as well.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP