Users Online Now: 1,373 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 472,998
Pageviews Today: 608,710Threads Today: 184Posts Today: 2,141
05:21 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject My personal thoughts on COVID-19 and the 1918 pandemic.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message We are dealing with something that we have never dealt with before in our life time or even in the lives of our parents or grandparents. As of right now, we only have history as our teacher. 1918 was a VERY bad year for mankind. The first wave of the "Spanish flu" was much like Covid-19; people were dying but nothing like what was about to come in the fall of that year.

The 1918 Spanish flu hit North America about the same time as this current virus hit us today... around March of that year. When September came around then the second wave hit the population like a sledgehammer. No one was immune to it; half of the deaths were the young. It is said that people woke up in the morning feeling well, by afternoon they became ill and were dead before the sun set that same day.

My great grandmother lost her 20 year old daughter to the 1918 pandemic. She lived in a little town on the east cost, on the Island of Newfoundland. "End of the world" you might say. The town was small and most of the few people that came there were the soldiers returning from WW1. When they returned they inadvertently brought home the virus with them from overseas.

Back in those days, people got about by mostly trains and ships. The virus used what was at its disposal and spread like wildfire throughout communities around the world. Form September through the end of November of 1918, the second wave decimated the vast majority of the estimated 50 million souls that lost their lives.

It is estimated that third of the world's population (500 million) got infected with that deadly influenza. Few families throughout the earth at that time were fortunate enough to be untouched by the devastation left in its wake.

I do not know what the future holds in respect to this pandemic. I think it would be foolhardy to think that we are somehow immune to such a plague striking the world in our current day.

Most everyone that has even a limited knowledge of what occurred back during the 1918 pandemic, has a palpable fear lingering in the back of their minds that the past may well indeed be prepared to repeat itself.

God forbid!
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP