Users Online Now: 2,214 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 764,847
Pageviews Today: 1,349,448Threads Today: 574Posts Today: 9,895
03:45 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject I think today is the day I abandon Flat Earth. (LONG POST sorry not sorry.)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I just want to say that I'm not a shill. I'm not a troll (at least not in this post, I do plenty of trolling though.) I'm just a dude that may have gotten too caught up in the internet.

On to the topic at hand:

My biggest question with the ball earth has always been sound and I couldn't make it make sense in my head. Well...Astro just did it. The explanation is below.

I have been saying for a few years, and it's my tag line, that "I want the truth. We all deserve it." I have been a "flat earther" for so many years now. I have been on the bandwagon of every popular flat earther and just as many unpopular ones. The problem with me is that I never looked at opposing viewpoints long enough to understand them. I would just say "well that doesn't make sense to me so it must be false." That is very unfair to myself. If I am blasted with the truth and I ignore it, that doesn't make me any better than the people who are actually lying. I have to be honest with myself. I have to take in the evidence I've been presented. I have to process it. Then I have apply to my own thoughts and my own conditioning and my own flaws. This isn't only true about flat earth but literally everything in my life.

This is my coming out party essentially. I am emerging from the flat earth closet and I'm admitting that I think I was wrong. God dammit, my fuckin friends are going to bust my balls when I come clean with them. LOL. It's hard admitting I'm wrong because I, like many flat earthers, have been mean and rude in my defense of my belief. I will have to apologize to the ones I was rude to. I will have to show them why I decided to change my mind. I will have to humble myself. That is never an easy pill to swallow.

Astromut, I hope you don't mind me posting this in it's own thread. If I'm violating some rule by doing so, by all means, get rid of it. I think you get so much shit from so many people that come at you hot and you reply in kind. When I approached you I did it with an open mind and with respect. Because of that, I believe, you took time out of your life to explain to me why I'm most likely wrong. I can't argue it. I won't anymore.

And Astro, here's to raising this glass to the 1 in a billion chance we both end up on that rocket with a billionaire. If it happens...I may ask him (just a few) questions about his role in the illuminati but that's to be expected LOL!

Thanks again.

Is that a pic of ISS?
 Quoting: ConcernedHuman

Yes. My best picture of it yet. Took it early in the Crew-1 mission currently docked to ISS.
And do you have pics of the Tesla? How far away is the Tesla actually from earth?
 Quoting: Concerned

It was nearly 8 times the distance to the moon when I last saw it.

I have a telescope...it's like a 6 year old Orion Starseeker 2. I love to take it out and look at the moon and the stars. In my head, I have no idea what I'm looking at, the way the stars shimmer and the way the edge of the moon is sometimes greenish. It's wild to look at that shit. I wish I had the capability to take pics or record video with it.

I'm gonna ask a question and you can't can not answer, obviously your choice. The biggest thing that I question when it comes to the ball model is sound. I don't understand how I can even hear the sound of me typing this. The earth is spinning at 1000ish mph, it is moving 60,000 ish mph, then the solar system itself is moving hundreds of thousands of mph (if I'm wrong correct me.) I can wrap my head around the notion that we are all moving with the atmosphere.

Conservation of angular momentum. The atmosphere is moving (roughly) with the surface of the earth. We share the same momentum. The momentum carried by air across different latitudes (with less rotation towards the poles) causes the rotation of hurricanes and it's why they rotate differently in the northern vs southern hemispheres.

What I can not seem to understand is sound. Sound isn't tangible. It doesn't exist at all until the moment it does. So when anything makes a sound, just given the speed of rotation of the earth the sound shouldn't be able to keep up. Let alone the 60 or so thousand it's moving around the sun. Can you explain how that works? Where am I flawed?

Sound is our perception of pressure waves moving through air. The speed of sound is relative to the mass of air it's moving through.
My wife is dying for me to make a donation to St Jude and apply for the space trip later this year. The one I asked you about earlier. I told her there is NO WAY they would ever accept me. But she's tired of my view on it. Help me help her LOL. Make sound make sense and I could jump ship in an instant.

I threw a few bucks to it, might as well have my name in the hat. It's for a good cause. You should try for it, I'd love to see a flat earther get in that capsule.
 Quoting: Astromut

Seriously, thanks for that. I haven't yet, but as soon as I get a free second I'm going to watch the vid. I appreciate the time you took to reply to all of that.

LOL ya know what, I have the extra money to donate and for the chance to prove the ball to me sitting next to the famous Dr.Astro...fuckin' worth it to me haha.

Thanks again brother.
 Quoting: ConcernedHuman
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP