Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The case for Jesus was vegetarian
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message The dispute over vegetarianism in the early church shows that the leadership of the Jerusalem church was vegetarian. The later history of J.wish Christianity indicates that Je.ish Christianity was vegetarian and preserved this tradition of defending animals. Yahshua’s’ attack on the animal sacrifice business demonstrates that Yahshua himself shared these views.

The very earliest layer of historical evidence about Christianity, the letters of Paul, indicate that vegetarianism was a hot topic in the early church. Before the destruction of the temple, before the gospels were written, and before theological assumptions colored later Christian histories, Paul is clearly enmeshed in a huge controversy over vegetarianism. The outlines of this controversy are found in Romans 14, I Corinthians 8–10, and Galatians 2.

In Romans and I Corinthians, Paul indicates that his opponents are vegetarians. Paul maintains that it is perfectly all right to eat meat, but also counsels diplomacy in dealing with the vegetarians.
Paul suggests not offending the picky eaters in the early movement.

Nothing is unclean of itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it is unclean . . . Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make others fall by what he eats; it is right not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything makes your brother stumble (Romans 14:14, 20–21).

In this phrase “makes your brother stumble,” we can see the whole problem. It is eating meat and drinking wine which makes these vegetarians stumble, because they are offended by it. Paul says we can safely ignore these vegetarians . . .

Eat anything sold in the meat-market without raising questions of conscience. (I Corinthians 10:25)
. . . but, on the other hand, we should take care not to offend them:

I [Paul] will never eat meat, lest I cause my brother to fall. (I Corinthians 8:13)
These early Christian vegetarians were offended by the thought that other believers might sacrifice animals or eat meat. Not only are they vegetarians, they believe that vegetarianism should be required of all followers of Yahshua. It is not a question of personal preference, but a question of conscience.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP