Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Need you Advice about PAINT
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I bought some enamel to paint my woodwork, but it turned out to be "antique white" and I waited too long to return it ... I thought that I could use it, instead on my dinning room walls - but I really wanted to "plaster" them ... to complete my "farmhouse" ambiance and make sure I cover the raised pattern on the wall paper that is up there now

seems that plastering walls is a long forgotten art - and I can't even find it for sale (for wall application), much less in any color - but the tools to apply it are still available

Here's my question - I have "googled" it every way I can, but never got a straight answer ... so I am asking GLP for advice ... because I have a bag of grout that has been sitting in the garage for years now, taking up space - and I thought that if I added some grout to the paint, I might get the "plaster" look on the walls that I was hoping for

it seems that grout and joint compound are very similar products - that can be used on walls (as well as tile) - and other than the buckets they are sold in - seem somewhat interchange able in the answers I received from google

if I could add the grout to the paint, would I be making a product I would be happy with - OR before I attempt this could you tell me if they are even chemically compatible ... I don't want to waste either of them and was hoping someone here knows - or has done this before - I don't want to do this if it will fall off the walls once it dries ... I am using enamel so that I can wash these wall - and to cover some Self adhesive wall paper that I hate ... and don't want the bother to take down because its been up there for decades (before I moved in) and is still in good shape and I'm afraid it will damage the drywall

actually I looked for some self adhesive wall paper that looked like plaster ( it is really the easiest and cheapest way to remodel) - but they don't have the color I want - and will settle for the "antique white" - if I can make it look like plaster because enamel on the walls is only practical in the bathroom - this is hi-gloss enamel so it would really look tacky IMO - but I think it would make a great looking textured wall that would catch the light in an otherwise dark dinning room

what say you wise DIYers of GLP ... before I make a costly time-consuming mistake ?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP