Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject What to do when inflation rages
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I have a Masters in Econ and Finance. Like I always say, With that degree and five bucks I can get a latte'.

However, look back at other inflation eras and consider how to survive the devaluation of our currency.

1. Buy property that pays something whether that be rent, farm crops, timber resources, or whatever. I was working the medical field in the latter 1970s. There were doctors buying Iowa farmland sight-unseen and watching it double in a year.

RE is a haven for the middle class or small investor who simply wants to protect his hard earned savings. Don't lose your principal even if you don't make great returns for a while. And usually, you can purchase it with a small down payment or even owner financing.

I sold my ancient motorhome to my next door neighbor a few months ago. This afternoon I was chatting over the fence with his new renter.

My neighbor is renting out the motorhome while it is parked in his driveway for $650/month, and the renter was thrilled to find a place so cheap. All he did was run water, an extension cord, and a flex pipe to the sewer connection.

2. Buy what you will need in the next couple of years. Beans, bullets, and bandaids. Don't you wish you had purchased primers for reloading ammo over two years ago? You could make a tidy profit right now. People are paying high prices and not even complaining.

3. Buy productive equipment. I own a small manufacturing company and a small farm. Last week I purchased $100K in brand new equipment at zero percent interest and zero down.

Hell, it will be worth more as USED equipment next year than I paid for it. Not to mention, I intend to use it and make money with that equipment.

4. Precious metals, hell YEAH! As I was watching silver, I told everyone, "Back up the truck; it is time to buy more silver".

5. Get a side hustle and build new skills. I made a huge mistake when I retired and bought an existing manufacturing company. I should have started small time in my garage and learned the business before I spent all of my savings.

The first company I bought was a total disaster. Sometimes I only learn the hard way.

I am old enough to remember the 1970s, however, what we are headed for is more like 1920s Germany or Argentina. Most countries in the world have defaulted or devalued drastically at some point.

Read the book, This Time It's Different. A couple of Harvard economists writing about devaluations and defaults going back to Rome.

I hope you all survive what is coming.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP